WE ARE HIRING!
Managing Editor, Public Health Reports
The Office of the Surgeon General
The Office of the Surgeon General within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health is recruiting a Managing Editor for the journal Public Health Reports, the official journal of the Office of the Surgeon General of the United States and the United States Public Health Service. The Managing Editor oversees journal production and the processing of submissions to the journal from receipt through timely print and online publication. This includes managing the workflow of peer review managers (PRMs), scientific editors, and coordination with the publisher’s production team. The Managing Editor serves as the primary contact for journal contributors and is responsible for overseeing the external peer review process and may serve as a PRM. The Managing Editor tracks the Journal’s performance metrics, such as impact factor, turnaround times, acceptance rates, etc., and makes recommendations on improving these. The Managing Editor also coordinates content promotion including developing promotional partners and generating and reviewing promotional content.
Public Health Reports, established in 1878, has a unique role in scientific and public health publishing because of its history and goals that include recognizing new and reemerging topics in public health. The journal’s content focuses on understanding factors involved in disease emergence, prevention, and elimination and enabling fast dissemination of reliable information on public health policy and practice to a broad public health audience.
This position is a GS-14 Health Communications Specialist in the 1001 job series. Officers of the USPHS Commissioned Corps (in any category), as well as candidates with communications and project management expertise, are encouraged to apply. A national security clearance is not required. The position reports to the Editor in Chief of the Journal, who works under the administrative direction of the Director for Science and Policy, Office of the Surgeon General, and functions independently to ensure the scientific integrity of PHR with final authority over published scientific content.
- Experience in development and implementation of efforts to support, evaluate, and improve journal production, publishing, and promotion activities
- Experience in developing and evaluating health communication and marketing activities relevant to journal publication
- Prior scientific authorship or editorial experience with peer-reviewed publications or journals, including knowledge of peer review, editing practices, and publication process
- Demonstrated experience in project management, stakeholder analysis and coordination, and environmental scanning to assess information gaps, needs, and opportunities
- Mastery of a range of qualitative and quantitative methods for assessing and improving program effectiveness or complex management processes and systems
- It is highly preferable that the Managing Editor is COR-certified and can serve as a COR on the journal’s support contract
- Strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility policies, practices, and in public health literature
Please send CV and any questions to Sara.Morris@hhs.gov
In advance of the formal USAJobs posting, we are soliciting interest from qualified candidates. If interested, please submit your CV to the email above. We are reviewing on a rolling basis to fill the role as soon as possible. Once a USAJobs posting is available, it will be shared widely, including those who have expressed interest via email.