Patient Support Specialist
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Health Services full-time patient support specialist plans, coordinates, and performs functions which support Health Services’ daily operations, campus communications, and provides University health compliance administrative support. Provides excellent customer service, and represents Health Services to the campus community and outside entities. Supports the University strategic goal of advancing equity, wellness and civility at USC Upstate.
- Facilitate administrative aspects front office patient appointment processing from initial scheduling, patient registration, check out and reconciling financial transactions. Utilize the electronic health record (EHR) to accurately document scheduling, registration and billing services. Answer phone calls to schedule appointments, respond to general service provision questions, and refer medical inquiries to clinical staff. Maintain accuracy of patient records.
- Maintain full functioning of Electronic Health Records software including facilitating updates, and assisting clinic to maximize use with available features and clinic needs. Assist in assessment , implementation and training with new features. Work with software vendor, IT department and any interfacing software companies (i.e. lab). Communicate with needed parties to resolve problems with software, hardware and network. Enter tickets and provide general troubleshooting as needed. Communicate issue to University IT support staff with computer equipment, software and hardware issues. Communicate and disruption of availability with Health Services staff and leadership.
- Plan, coordinate, and perform immunization compliance related activities in accordance with USC Upstate Health Services policies and procedures. Assist in development of web, written and verbal communication regarding immunization requirements. Collaborate with IT, Enrollment services and Housing Departments in managing compliance deadlines and status. Assist in reporting needs should it be required for outbreak management. Scan and electronically transfer immunizations and medical documentation into the patient medical record. Compiles and maintains files, reports, databases, and spreadsheets from databases including but not limited to EHR, Banner, PeopleSoft, SIMON, Quest Diagnostics, etc.
- Work collaboratively with business manager and clinical supervisors in scheduling clinical and administrative staffing for daily operations, special events, high and low volume periods. Work with administrative and events staff from other departments requesting Health Services presence. Adjust schedule as needed for increased and decreased volume, staff illness and vacations. Accurately enter schedule into EHR, Microsoft and other calendars as needed. Trains university staff on software as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree, or high school diploma and 4 years work experience in a related requiring substantial customer service/client interaction, 3 years work experience in a medical office setting with electronic medical records; or equivalency. A successful background check is required.
Highly desirable: Proficiency with University of South Carolina systems (Banner, PeopleSoft, etc.) Familiarity with USC procedures and offices.
$37,735; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and/or to apply, go to https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/152903
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
USC Upstate offers a valuable benefits package including but not limited to:
- Health and Life Insurance
- Retirement Programs
- Paid Tuition Program
- Dependent Scholarships
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- 13 Paid Holidays (including an extended December holiday)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Professional Development Opportunities
About University of South Carolina Upstate
The University of South Carolina Upstate is a comprehensive public university, a senior institution of the University of South Carolina and is among the fastest growing universities in the State. U.S. News and World Report recently ranked USC Upstate No. 1 among Top Public Regional Colleges in the South. USC Upstate has been recognized as a top producer of Fulbright Scholars. In addition, students and faculty from over 25 nations reflect the university’s international character. Located between Charlotte and Atlanta along the I-85 corridor, one of the fastest growing business and high-tech regions in the country, the campus is within easy driving distance of the Appalachian mountains and the Atlantic Ocean beaches. The University has an enrollment of approximately 6000 students and employs approximately 650 full and part-time faculty and staff, reflecting the diversity of Upstate South Carolina. USC Upstate is proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for faculty, staff, and administrators. We are an EOE/AA employer and are strongly committed to increasing diversity.